Mental Health First Aid
2 day course
Method of Delivery:
Face to Face
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses in Australia aim to provide individuals with the skills and knowledge to assist someone who may be experiencing a mental health problem or crisis. The content of the course is regularly updated, so it's important to check the latest curriculum from Mental Health First Aid Australia or the specific organization conducting the training.
A standard Mental Health First Aid course in Australia typically covers the following key areas:
1. Overview of Mental Health First Aid:
- Understanding the concept and importance of Mental Health First Aid.
- Reducing stigma associated with mental health issues.
2. Mental Health Problems:
- Recognition and understanding of common mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, psychosis, and substance use disorders.
3. Mental Health Crisis Situations:
- Identification and appropriate response to crisis situations, including suicidal thoughts and behaviours, non-suicidal self-injury, panic attacks, acute psychosis, and overdose.
4. Assisting Someone in Crisis:
- Developing practical skills to offer initial help to someone experiencing a mental health crisis.
- Communication techniques to support individuals in distress.
5. Implementing the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan:
- Application of the MHFA Action Plan, which includes approaching, assessing, and assisting the person in crisis while considering the person's safety and obtaining appropriate professional help.
6. Promoting Self-Help and Professional Support:
- Encouraging and guiding individuals toward self-help strategies.
- Providing information about professional help and available resources.
7. Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace (optional):
- Addressing mental health challenges in a workplace setting.
- Strategies for creating a mentally healthy work environment.
It's important to note that the specific content and duration of Mental Health First Aid courses may vary. MHFA courses are often offered in different formats, including standard courses for adults, youth courses, and specialized courses for workplaces.